Whatever your requirements – we have the right Ion Chromatograph for you
Our range of ion chromatography (IC) instruments covers cost-effective, compact, and stand-alone options for routine analysis as well as modern, fully automated, and hyphenated systems for advanced applications. Our IC portfolio includes detectors, columns, sample preparation and automation solutions. Use the filters to refine your search and find the perfect ion chromatography system for you.
Why Metrohm IC instruments? – More than 30 years of experience
The first ion chromatograph was added to Metrohm's portfolio of analytical chemical instrumentation in 1987. Since then, Metrohm has been developing and manufacturing state-of-the-art IC solutions, from simple setups for academic laboratories to fully automated, high-performance IC systems and hyphenated techniques such as IC-MS or IC-ICP/MS as well as the heart of ion chromatography itself: the separation columns.
- From routine application to ultimate flexibility, hyphenated techniques, Inline Sample Preparation techniques, and automated solutions – get everything you need for your IC analysis from one provider.
- Boost your process productivity with the Metrohm IC solution for online IC process analytics.
- Rely on Swiss-made quality.
- Benefit from our global presence in over 80 countries for local support by our service and application experts.
Learn more about Metrohm IC in our blog:
Ion chromatography instruments – FAQs
How does an ion chromatograph work?
Ion chromatographs are analytical instruments used to separate and quantify ions in liquid samples. The following steps are performed by an ion chromatography instrument from Metrohm:
- Pre-rinsing: The eluent, or mobile phase, passes through the IC system. The eluent is continuously pumped through the separation column. It consists of an aqueous solution with various ions that compete with the sample ions for binding sites on the resin in the separation column. The eluent composition is carefully optimized to achieve the best separation of target ions.
- Sample preparation (optional): Typically, sample preparation techniques are used before injecting the sample into the sample loop. Sample preparation leads to more acurate and reliable results and can prevent damages to the separation column and IC system. Sample preparation techniques include filtration, dilution, and extraction.
- Injection valve: The position of the injection valve switches to FILL and the sample enters the sample loop.
- Sample injection: The injection valve injects the sample towards the separation column.
- Sample separation: The sample flows through a separation column, or stationary phase, filled with an ion exchange resin. This resin contains charged functional groups that selectively interact with specific ions. The choice of resin depends on the target ions to be analyzed.
- Elution and detection: The retained ions are gradually released from the resin as the sample progresses through the column. The retention time for each ion depends on its affinity for the resin and the eluent conditions. The eluent, containing the separated ions, reaches a detector within the ion chromatograph. Different types of detectors, such as conductivity detectors, UV/Vis detectors, or mass spectrometers, can be used. The detector measures the concentration of specific ions eluting from the column.
- Data analysis: An ion chromatography software records and processes the detector output. The resulting data is used to generate chromatograms that display the concentration of target ions over time.
Which software solutions can I use with Metrohm ion chromatography systems?
Metrohm IC systems are controlled with our proprietary ion chromatography software MagIC Net. MagIC Net is a simple and intuitive software that controls the components of the intelligent Metrohm ion chromatography systems as well as their peripheral devices for Liquid Handling and automation. MagIC Net meets all FDA and GLP requirements.
Which applications can I perform with an ion chromatograph from Metrohm?
Thanks to the wide range of ion chromatography columns from Metrohm, any application can be performed using Metrohm IC systems. Metrohm IC instruments can be used for environmental, pharmaceutical, as well as water and wastewater analysis, in the food and beverage, chemical, and energy production industry as well as in research and academia.
The separation columns cover the most common separation mechanisms, i.e., ion exchange, ion exclusion, and ion pair formation, and disciplines in ion chromatography:
- anions and cations with or without suppression
- transition metals
- organic acids
- amino acids