Lead is known to be highly toxic and lead salts are easily absorbed by creatures. By interfering with enzyme reactions,
lead can affect all parts of the human body. It can cause severe damage to brain and kidneys and can cross the bloodbrain barrier. Cases of chronic lead poisoning caused by lead metal used in the water piping system are well known. Therefore, the control of drinking water for lead content is of utmost importance. In many countries (e.g., EU, USA), the limit for lead in drinking water is between 10 and 15 μg/L. These concentrations can reliably be determined with the method described in this Application Bulletin. The determination is carried out by anodic stripping voltammetry at a silver film applied to the scTRACE Gold electrode.


Metrohm AG

9100 Herisau