Mercury in drinking water by anodic stripping voltammetry at the scTRACE Gold using the 946 Portable VA Analyzer

Mercury and its compounds are toxic. The highest risk is caused by chronic poisoning with mercury compounds ingested with food. A significant part of the mercury present in the environment is of anthropogenic origin. Considerable sources are coal-fired power plants, steel, and nonferrous metal production, waste incineration plants, chemical industry, or artisanal gold mining where the use of elemental mercury for the extraction of gold from the ore is still common. The WHO (World Health Organization) guideline value for inorganic mercury is 6 μg/L.